Monday, February 27, 2012

A boring night turned Russian

In case you were unaware, I am a server at a restaurant, I am a graduate student and therefore on the brink of insanity, and I'm also very proficient in Russian accents. Well today I decided to throw all those things into one big ball of fun.
Monday's are usually pretty slow as a server and we have week day 7.99 deals so I rarely ever walk away with much money. Perfect day to get a little crazy, right? Almost everyone at the restaurant knows I have this accent and so I decided to tell them I was going to talk wiith ze russin eksent for hole nite. 5 tables later and a bunch of laughs and my night ends. Out of the 5 only 1 table asked me where I was from, and refusing to lie I told them. I had to fess up to my english background. They thought I was strange(go figure) and were my worst tip coming out at about 10%, I can only assume it was because they knew of the facade. The other tables were more generous with tips ranging from 15%-25% or slightly higher  and I imagine they tipped so well because they stared at me the whole time. Bet they'd feel silly knowing I have no accent. All in all it made what could have been just another boring day a far more interesting one. I got to be my crazy goofy self, put smiles on the faces of my coworkers, and just live a little more care free. I hope this puts a little smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment