Monday, April 11, 2016

Chronicles of a potty training mama: The Plan

When your 18 month old starts coming to you and telling you "poop" whenever he has a dirty diaper, or saying "pee" with a questioning tone outside the bathroom door, you think to yourself 'well maybe it's that time'. I never thought we would start this part of parenthood early. But the little man has hit quite a few milestones early so why not toilet training? I'll be keeping this diary as a satirical memoir of what is sure to be a journey of tears and laughter. So you know if you don't mind some good ole toilet humor join me on the path to the potty.

The plan:

I'm sure there are many ways of approaching the whole potty thing, but here is the plan. Subject to change, as I tend to give up easily. Today we started with purchasing the necessary items.
1) potty seat, the kind that fits in a regular toilet. No chair for me, because well I'm lazy and don't want to clean M's poo from more surfaces than absolutely necessary.
2) a step stool, because yeah he can climb well, but better make things as easy as possible.
3) underwear. I'm skipping pull ups and training pants because I'm overly confident or insane, maybe both.

As we wait for these items to arrive i plan to take this week slow. He is becoming aware of all things toilet but he's no expert. Mostly I'll just attempt to call his attention to when he sneaks away to the corner to squat and let him know where that junk really belongs by dumping out diapers in the toilet. Perhaps he'll receive an introduction to pantslessness, because he hates diaper changes because he gets cold. He'll soon find out that there is certainly no seat warmer on the john, and that going requires leaving pants behind. Ill let you all know how things go. Next week is sure to be filled with more "excitement".

Note: If you are reading this blog for potty training tips, stop. I have no idea what im doing.

Note 2: I may at some point I give up and wait until he's older.

No comments:

Post a Comment