Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Chronicles of a potty training momma: terrible timing

So, today I discovered that I have terrible timing. To help with consistency,I set a timer to remind myself to do a potty check every hour or so. I ended up changing that to 30 mins on the second go round, then gave up on the reminders all together.

M started in the big boy underpants and fortunately for us we had warmer weather so no pants were necessary. We talked about the potty a lot today. And we had our first accident in the bathroom, on the step stool to get up to the potty. An accident yes, but hey, we were at least close there!

Then came mystery accident two. The reminder timer had not yet gone off, but gavr me a ten minute warning that our next potty break was coming up. So I decided to grab him early and let him reset the timer on the way to the toilet. Upon lifting him up to press the button timer, I felt that it was too late.

So I adjusted the time. And gave up on the underwear for the moment. No mystery pee stains for me.

Later M turns to me and says "poop". I ask him if he needs to poop in the potty, and we sing "we're gonna poop in the potty" on our trek upstairs. He really seems to ejoy my potty song. When we make it to the toilet I find that he was only informing me of what had happened. He sits on the toilet seat anyway, just to familiarize himself and we dump the diaper in the potty and he flushes saying "bye bye poopy"

After cleaning up this third attempt my lazy mommy mode kicks in and we permanently switch to diapers for the rest of the day.  After donning the dipe M suddenly becomes very upset that his poo had been flushed and runs to the toilet only to cry "poopy gone!" So apparently that tactic is more traumatizing than helpful.

This toilet training is the nastiest rite of passage I have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment