Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Marriage advice

It seems to me that the people around me view my engagement as a reason for them to give me tidbits of information on life, love, money, and marriage. I have to say that unfortunately I am frequently warned about what I am "getting myself into". I'd probably have a lot of fear with that if it weren't for the simple fact that Daka constantly reminds me of truth. We openly acknowledge that marriage will not be all love notes and roses. One sinful person added to another sinful person does not equal perfection by any means. However, I am just over flowing with excitement for our pending nuptials. Tonight we discussed how marriage is a reflection to those around us of the relationship between Christ and his bride, the church. Then Daka brought up a point that we, as the people inside the relationship looking outward, should have an even better understanding of that relationship.Our love for each other is a small reflection of Jesus' love for us. We will be called to make sacrifices for the other person. Asked to put away our pride(even when we are right and could be proud) for the sake of our love. It's so easy for me to forget the gravity of what Christ did for me on the cross. I am counting my blessings tonight as I reflect on his love for me. Daka can never fill my heart in the same way that Jesus does, but he is my reminder of a greater and more true love. So I say,to you who feel called to warn me away from the commitment of marriage, that I recognize the trials that will come but I will not fear them because I am made new. As a follower of Jesus with the holy living Spirit living with in me I relish the opportunity to show God's love to my soon to be husband. I hope that through our relationship I become better equipped to love those whom I would not normally make a choice to love. I alone can not cause my marriage to be a good one, no matter how hard I purpose that in my heart, it is only through Christ who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment